Kitty

Scorch vs Gathering Storm

I really like Gathering Storm because I do TONS OF DAMAGE late game, I just play passive in lane.

A lot of people take Scorch over Gathering storm because games don't last long, and you can snowball a lead early. 

What do you think?

It really depends on the champion.

Champions with poor scaling and those that would rather bully in lane (take Corki for example, where you want to push in and roam to snowball) you can consider taking scorch on.

Champions like Ziggs, Lux and Xerath also do well with Scorch but the extra AP that they get later in the game is invaluable.

So... Take what you feel would suit you best in that game. If you think it will go late then Gathering Storm is powerful, but if your win condition is pre30 then you're going to want to take scorch for lane domination. 

:O I see. Thanks for the reply! I just wanted to know what other people's opinions were :)

If you were to hit a champion 3 times in a minute in laning phase, you'd do an extra 60 damage over the course of the trade, if a midlaner has 500HP at level 1, that's effectively an auto attack difference over extended trades. If you get that poke for free (e.g. good auto spacing) then instead of an auto trade doing 60 damage you'll do 80 damage. It doesn't sound like a lot but it can impact a lane fairly heavily. 

For comparison, you'd need to be 20 minutes into game for a similar tradeoff with Gathering Storm. So in safe lanes, Gathering Storm works better (i.e. Lux into Zed) as you won't be able to pressure, you'd rather just clear the wave from range.

i take the scorch on janna because u add that extra damage non stop with w poke thats already stupidly strong+the fairy+cheap shot=a lot of extra damage 

11 hours ago, Sami said:

If you were to hit a champion 3 times in a minute in laning phase, you'd do an extra 60 damage over the course of the trade, if a midlaner has 500HP at level 1, that's effectively an auto attack difference over extended trades. If you get that poke for free (e.g. good auto spacing) then instead of an auto trade doing 60 damage you'll do 80 damage. It doesn't sound like a lot but it can impact a lane fairly heavily. 

For comparison, you'd need to be 20 minutes into game for a similar tradeoff with Gathering Storm. So in safe lanes, Gathering Storm works better (i.e. Lux into Zed) as you won't be able to pressure, you'd rather just clear the wave from range.

If you were Lux against Zed, wouldn't you want to punish Zed's early game harder with scorch?

2 hours ago, fluffyvamp said:

i take the scorch on janna because u add that extra damage non stop with w poke thats already stupidly strong+the fairy+cheap shot=a lot of extra damage 

The Janna w poke is very good early indeed, but I enjoy taking gathering storm and scaling up (especially the movement speed, gotta go fast!) into the late game. My rune page is also set up for mid-late game so I suppose that's just my playstyle.

I do have a question here though. Does cheap shot proc on Janna's w right away? Because I thought the target had to be movement impaired previously in order for it to do true damage. For example; Lux's E won't proc cheap shot if you detonate it right away- you have to wait for like a split second for them to be slowed in order for them to take extra damage from cheap shot. Meaning the Janna w itself won't do extra damage, but if you or your adc use a skill/auto them while they are slowed, they will take bonus true damage.

I searched this up on the web:

PASSIVE: Your attacks and damaging abilities deal 12 - 30 (based on level) bonus true damage to Stun icon impaired enemy champions.

Note that attacks or abilities that impair the target will not trigger that bonus damage themselves, unless the target is already impaired.

Cooldown: 4 seconds

So it seems like the Janna w does not proc cheap shot right away. O:

Edited by Kitty

thats why you auto as well :o

3 minutes ago, Kitty said:

The Janna w poke is very good early indeed, but I enjoy taking gathering storm and scaling up (especially the movement speed, gotta go fast!) into the late game. My rune page is also set up for mid-late game so I suppose that's just my playstyle.

I do have a question here though. Does cheap shot proc on Janna's w right away? Because I thought the target had to be movement impaired previously in order for it to do true damage. For example; Lux's E won't proc cheap shot if you detonate it right away- you have to wait for like a split second for them to be slowed in order for them to take extra damage from cheap shot. Meaning the Janna w itself won't do extra damage, but if you or your adc use a skill/auto them while they are slowed, they will take bonus true damage.

I searched this up on the web:

PASSIVE: Your attacks and damaging abilities deal 12 - 30 (based on level) bonus true damage to Stun icon impaired enemy champions.

Note that attacks or abilities that impair the target will not trigger that bonus damage themselves, unless the target is already impaired.

Cooldown: 4 seconds

So it seems like the Janna w does not proc cheap shot right away. O:

11 hours ago, Kitty said:

If you were Lux against Zed, wouldn't you want to punish Zed's early game harder with scorch?

Lux would rather take trades with E against Z pre6 unless his W is down, then she can move up for the whole combo, however it's not guaranteed that she'll get in range for that repeated poke and instead wants to farm up to the morello/zhonya's point and work as a team to shut him down. 

12 hours ago, fluffyvamp said:

thats why you auto as well :o

You want to be doing this trade into the ADc, btw, not the support, especially if it's a support like Blitz who can punish your auto animation really hard

5 hours ago, Sami said:

You want to be doing this trade into the ADc, btw, not the support, especially if it's a support like Blitz who can punish your auto animation really hard

if they pick blitz into you now poking them out is easier since they can't really return the poke so u don't need the auto u w them the auto isn't even needed to win a trade

On 2/14/2018 at 1:50 AM, fluffyvamp said:

if they pick blitz into you now poking them out is easier since they can't really return the poke so u don't need the auto u w them the auto isn't even needed to win a trade

But what if you get caught trying to trade? D:

Really depends on whether or not you're looking to play early-mid or whether you're playing someone who's focusing on the late game.